My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ch-ch-changes: Autumn colors, local eateries, and uncertain futures

My 50th blog entry is all about change.
*
Changing Seasons
Looking outside there's no denying that the seasons have changed and winter is fast approaching. The cranes and geese have migrated to warmer climes, the fireweed has lost its blossoms, darkness, accompanied by coldness, has terminated the long summer days, and golden leaves are falling fast.
Fortunately, my last weekend in Fairbanks for 2010 proved gloriously sunny and warm,
perfect for walks with family and dog.
 
 
*
Changing Local Landscape
The departure of summer also signifies the closing of certain well-loved seasonal eateries.
Bun-on-the-Run, located on College Road next to Beaver Sports, has been a Fairbanks summer institution since well before I can remember, providing locals with amazing baked goods sure to bring a smile to your face and expand your waistline. My personal favorite is a baked-to-perfection, fresh-out-of-the-oven cinnamon roll with extra creamcheese frosting. In order to secure this evidence of Heaven on Earth, you have to get there within the first hour or so of their opening at 6:30am or they will be sold out. That's the thing with the Bun, they're popular. Dixon and I stopped by "The Bun", as locals refer to it, to eat a tasty calzone at 1pm on Saturday, incidentally the only day calzones are served, but they were sold out. They started serving them at 11. The fact that we all know it to be ephemeral and that procuring the object of our desire presents something of a temporal challenge only makes Bun-on-the-Run all the more exciting.
Oh, how sweet the reward is after some effort.
Since The Bun could not provide my step-dad and I with our much needed nutritional sustenance, we headed over to the falafel hut down the street. Neither one of us had ever been there and we were pleasantly surprised. The pitas stuffed to overflowing with veggies, hummus, and falafel proved delicious.
 However, we did head back to the Bun for desert: an impossibly rich Creme de Menthe brownie. Just the thing to fuel me up for a wander in the woods!
*
My Changing Sagittarius Aim
I was born on December 2, which, according to astrological signs, makes me a Sagittarius. [Yes, I included the date so you would remember it and send me stuff. I'm shameless.] The Sagittarius sign is typically pictured as a centaur poised with bow and arrow drawn, focused and ready to pierce it's prey.
The Rowan of years past has epitomized the Sagittarius, being exceedingly goal oriented and always having the requisite focus to achieve her goals. From when she was a small child in grade school, attracted to the idea of traveling to exotic places to learn about people who lived life in such diverse ways, she knew she wanted to be an Anthropologist. So the goal was set. That's what she wanted to do so now all she had to do was remain focused to achieve it. She studied, did well in school, and got her degree in Anthropology.
Then she began to question everything.
It has been several years since I've been that Rowan, focused and so sure what she wants. As I was getting my degree I realized the ethical complications involved with actually practicing Anthropology. More than anything I want to do something "relevant", "useful" with my life but more and more those words have become complex. Words like "help" or "aid" are so culturally, politically, and economically loaded that to make overtures in their direction becomes a statement. Suddenly you're doing something, openly identifying yourself as one who "helps" people "in need", someone who doesn't just talk about problems but is doing something to "solve" them. But rarely do people share the same idea of how to go about this, even on a small scale, which opens you up to criticism because there is no way to please everyone. I have become paralyzed by the realization that there are no easy answers to the world's myriad problems and the awareness that I want to be a part of working towards the answers. I guess more than anything I'm afraid that in the process of providing aid I will end up causing more harm than good since it can be next to impossible to measure the potential long term impact or consequences of projects aimed at helping. There are so many possible approaches, how do you choose?
I had the great privilege of volunteering as a translator for two groups of medical teams helping impoverished people in villages in the Dominican Republic during my time there last spring. Consequently, I was able to experience first hand how two groups with the same goal in mind--providing quality health care to communities in the Puerto Plata area of the Dominican Republic that wouldn't ordinarily be able to afford care--could differ so widely in their operational paradigms and exclusion. While there were some similarities, Crossroads Ministries and Health Horizons International were different from each other in many ways and there were aspects of both organizations that worked well and others that could be improved upon. Neither organization was totally right or wrong--both were doing their best to help in the way they thought was best for those communities they perceived to have a need.
Volunteering for Crossroads Ministries
In the pharmacy for the free clinic
Translating from Spanish to English to help a visiting American doctor understand her patient's need.
Volunteering for Health Horizons International
Trying to determine the child's complaint as described by the mother and then translate for the doctor.
Volunteering P.A. students setting up a pharmacy in a church that doubles as a school.
I found working with both organizations infinitely rewarding and will surely draw on my experiences long into the future when I finally do decide to take a risk and become one of those people.
In search of an aim
Owing to this growing sense of wanting to do something but not being sure of what-- I'd describe it as reverse ennui. I'm too interested in, and excited by, too many things. I want to do everything all at once right now-- I've decided to do what I enjoy most: travel. Well, technically it's not necessarily the traveling part I enjoy, that part can be pretty miserable, which is why I always bring a pillow along for the adventure. In order to prepare for my imminent departure I needed to go to the bank to get a new ATM card. My credit union has a machine that creates ATM cards instantly with your photo in the corner. You also get to pick your background. Flipping through the over 20 choices of mostly Alaskan landscapes or animals I wasn't finding anything that really captured my interest. Then I came across one of a photograph taken of an ice sculpture from the World Ice Art Championships, held annually in Fairbanks, of a centaur doling out tea to an eager rabbit holding up his tea cup while a squirrel waits his turn. I was struck by how fitting this image was for my next phase of life. I, the previously focused Sagittarius, have lost sight of my prey, consequently putting aside my bow and arrow, and have instead decided to simply enjoy life, sharing tea with my new friends who, had I not changed my ways, I would have never been able to get to know!
The sculpture was entitled "Time for Tea" and it won 3rd place in the realistic/multi-block category in 2006.
*
Changing Places
This autumn signifies my departure from my safe haven with my family and fantastic friends. This means saying good-bye, which is never easy, but it also means embracing something new, challenging, guaranteed to "broaden my pitifully narrow horizons" in ways that only time will tell.
Good-bye family. I will miss you!
Good-bye friends! I will miss you too!
For my final dinner in Fairbanks for the summer, I chose sushi and my artist friend Heidi was kind enough to join me and help me polish off a bottle of pomegranate wine. I don't usually get sushi with lots of sauce, but I thought I should go for something a bit wild in celebration of a fantastic summer in Alaska. I ordered the Mt. McKinley, which was basically everything you could imagine piled high to simulate mountain peaks.
Awesome!
If you're in the mood for sushi in Fairbanks, check out Ajimi Sushi 550 3rd Street just down the road from the Mayflower Buffet. The outside doesn't look like much, but the inside is beautiful and cozy. The staff is super friendly also, which makes for a positive dining experience.
*
Before parting, I should perhaps mention that I will be entering this new phase of my life as an award-winning photographer. That's right, folks. I neglected to inform you in my entry on the Tanana Valley State Fair that I won several awards for some photographs I entered. Nothing too impressive but I did get one 1st place ribbon for a photo I took in Lombok of the shadows cast by a lamp that I then converted to black and white.
The blue ribbon was accompanied by a crisp $5 bill.
Yea, I'm kind of a big deal. But fear not, I won't let a little fame go to my head. I'll still make time for you in my busy schedule.
I'm humble like that.
*
Ch-ch-changes, a sing-a-long
Raise your glass to the great David Bowie and
sing along to this 50th post's theme!
What changes have you made recently?
What direction is your life taking?
What are you doing to realize your dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment