My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fairbanks art galleries celebrate First Friday!

The first Friday of each month the art galleries of Fairbanks, Alaska unveil their new shows in grand fashion with offerings of free food and wine to accompany the appreciation of artists and their works. It is an event that many Fairbanksens, including myself, look forward to each month because, besides the art itself, you are bound to run into fellow art lovers "making the rounds" of shows. People each have their favorite routes but it's not uncommon to bump into the same people at multiple sites, which is part of the fun. It allows people to chat about what pieces they've enjoyed or who has the best wine. My favorite route always begins at Wells Street Art Co. and generally ends at the Annex, which is out of town a bit on the Parks. 
This First Friday occurred on September 3rd and I broke with tradition slightly by beginning with a showing of my friend Heidi Atkinson's work in the Well and Good arts building next to Wells Street Art Co. Being simultaneously cozy and airy, the space provided an optimal setting to display her light, fun, and deeply personal works. Her show, "Make Me Happy", ended up making her very happy by selling out within a few hours.
The artist herself next to the piece I most coveted. Sadly, I was not the only or first person desirous of "Mermaids and Marietta" for it had been sold before I even stepped trough the gallery's door.
After congratulating my friend, I headed over to Wells Street to check out the scene. In the main room hung brightly colored paintings by Jean Lester and multi-media pieces by Linde Kienle.
 The side room contained floral paintings by Mary Lee Guthrie and more pieces by Kienle.
Incidentally, Wells Street Art Co. happens to be owned by an old buddy of my step-dad. David Mollett and he, along with other artist friends, used to go on trips up to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to render in artistic fashion the landscapes of the area. Their works are displayed virtually on the Artists of the Arctic Refuge website, which was created originally by my very own step-dad Dixon Jones as a way to protest the area's development. Unfortunately this connection does not lead to any discounts at Mollett's hoity toity gallery. Too bad because this Linde Kienle wire bikini is pretty awesome.
After I had had my fill of floral paintings and spraypainted coconut husk lamps, I continued my artsy meander by making my way to Bear Gallery, where the art and food are generally good but there is a shocking lack of wine.
 The Bear Gallery is located inside the Alaska Centennial Arts building in Pioneer Park, formerly Alaska Land, so you have the interesting experience of walking by the historic river boat the S.S. Nenana as you near said building.
Stop number 4, Expressions in Glass, is right down the road from Bear Gallery and featured the work of a watercolorist. Not my cup of tea but please do allow me to sample the Pinot Noir.
Now off to the Annex. It was a glorious day so the drive out was pleasant. The show was divided between  landscape photographer Diane Hunt and drawings by Sandy Fawn Solimon. This space is so large that it seemed vacuous without installations in the center area. I was hoping for something sculptural.
I finished the night off with a glass of Marietta Old Vine at the Pub with Heidi and Co. enjoying the live tunes of PAPER SCISSORS.






No comments:

Post a Comment