My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Customized T-shirts, Lebanese food, a belly dancing bride-to-be, and some good ol'rock and roll!

The back story
My love affair with Italy all began 10 years ago when, as a 16 year old, I embarked on a year-long study abroad program with AFS. While my school, Liceo Scientifico Statale "Galileo Ferraris", which I at first glance mistook for a prison, was located in Varese, my host family lived in the quaint town of Vedano Olona. I remember the excitement of taking the train to school for the first time. My host family was, and still is, fantastic and I have returned to Italy to visit them for the third time but this time is special because I'm here to celebrate my host sister's wedding! Which leads me to the point of this blog, that is to tell you all about...
Veronica's bachelorette party
An amazing night to never forget began in the parking lot in front of my host family's house where all the bachelorette's friends got together to sign t-shirts and write things in a memory book for Veronica.
Then we piled into cars to pick my sister up at her house.
Here comes the bride-to-be, ready for a night of embarrassment!
Off we went for a night in the big city in Milan!
The first stop, an excellent Lebanese restaurant, Ristorante Aladino.
This is me with Francesca, who used to accompany Veronica and me on our daily walks to the train station together before school.
Look at all the food!! So delicious! The hot blonde is one of Veronica's closest friends and she helped organize the night of festivities. Sorry guys, she's taken.
It's not a bachelorette party unless the bride-to-be gets a little embarrassed. The dancer at the restaurant was kind enough to assist in this mission by asking Veronica to dance in the middle of the restaurant for all diners to enjoy.
It's the same dancer who later changed her clothes and asked Veronica to dance again. She changed clothes at least 5 times. Seemed exhausting.
Eventually we all got up and belly danced. It was a blast!
Vedano girls unite!
It's cake time! Veronica with her two closest friends, Cri and Lucia, who organized the evening.
 The blushing bride-to-be opening her presents.
Off to the club we go with our dancing shoes ready!
We had a VIP table reserved like the stars we were.
My Italian sister wasn't the only one about to get married. We ran into this young chap.
And this poor fellow whose friends made him wear Veronica's veil.
An excellent night was had by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment