My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Menfolk chatting in a shoe repair shop in Torino

This shoe repair shop was near my Couch Surfing host's apartment in Torino (Turin), Italy. I happened to glance inside and was touched by the scene of traditional, older male Italian culture.
I love these small, locally run shops dedicated to one purpose. I'm sure the wives are busy ironing clothes, scrubbing floors, and preparing meals while their men gossip together in their buddy's shop wondering what's for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment