My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Monday, June 7, 2010

A taste of Thai in Fairbanks, Alaska

For a "city" of about 35,000 people Fairbanks, Alaska has a surprisingly large Thai community. There are 8 Thai restaurants in town that I know of, the oldest being Thai House. I vividly remember the first time I went to Thai House. I think I was maybe 7 years old. My now step-dad had been dating my mom for a while and they had recently discovered the restaurant on an historic evening wherein Dixon became rather famous with the servers there for ordering and devouring two full plates of Pad Thai. In an attempt to increase family bonding time, my mom and her boyfriend decided to share the experience with me. I was a total brat about basically everything having to do with this new guy Dixon, so I think I made faces and noises expressing my disdain for everything on the menu. They ordered me Thai grilled chicken and satay. I liked everything I tried, but of course didn't admit it right away. I just complained a bit less the next time they mentioned the possibility of going to Thai House again. I gradually became more adventurous in my ordering and today can claim Thai food as one of my favorites. Consequently I was psyched when I read in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner that the annual Thai-Laos festival was going to be celebrated this Sunday and that the event included not only Thai dance performances but also all you can eat Thai food!! My stomach ordered me to attend and my good friend Heidi was kind enough to join me.

Children prepare their submissions for a coloring contest while waiting to perform Thai traditional dances.


There was also a Filipino dance performance that was pretty awesome

At the conclusion of events, all the performers gathered together on stage to sing a song for their King.

The Thai-Laos summer festival was an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday evening. Plus you could feel good about spending the $18 entrance knowing that all the proceeds are going to families in Thailand who have lost their homes or businesses because of the recent political violence. There was also a raffle with door prizes. My friend Heidi won two things and some lady won a Juicer and a handbag. It was rigged I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment