My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

A smoothie, a muffin, 3 moose, another plane and more sunsets

I currently lack sufficient time or inspiration to write a full on entry, so here are some random things to entertain you.
Thing 1: I've been starting the day off with a fruit and veggie smoothie
First I put in some fruit juice, usually apple but today I used pomegranate. I then add yogurt, cinnamon, flax seed, vanilla extract, 1 fresh banana, some frozen or fresh spinach, frozen blueberries and strawberries and blend. Yumminess! 

Thing 2: The breakfast muffin recipe
I accidentally made a vegan version of my breakfast energy muffin last weekend because I started mixing stuff together before I realized we were out of eggs. I thought, what the heck? Apple sauce is kind of like an egg, right? Turned out fine!

Preheat oven to 400*F
Put some sort of oil or cooking spray in each muffin cup.
Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
1 1/4 cups:    Random healthy stuff (all bran, wheat germ, flax seed, grape nuts, coconut, Kashi Go Lean)
1 cup:     Whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons:     Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon:      Baking soda
 (I've recently started adding a couple table spoons of unsweetened, dark cocoa powder.)
----*----
Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
1 1/4 cup:      Applesauce
1/2 cup:      Milk (I use soy)
1/3 cup:       Molasses or honey (I put a bit of both)
1/2 cup:      Fruit pieces (Could use dried fruit. I use wild Alaska cranberries that have been sitting in the freezer for a long while.)
1 teaspoon:      Vanilla extract
Mix in some nutmeg, ground cloves, cinnamon, and allspice for more flavor
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones. Texture should be thick but if you tilt the bowl it should move. If it's too wet, add flour. If it's too thick add more applesauce and/or milk. I'm not one for exact measurements so I'm just guessing here!
Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp to the touch on top. Take out and cool on rack before removing the muffins.

Thing 3: The 3 moose video
Here is another moose video kindly gifted to me by Kory Eberhardt, proprietor of A Taste of Alaska Lodge.

Thing 4: Another plane
I still find it amusing that I park my car next to planes when I go to work each evening. That's Murphy, the Subaru Legacy my parents are kindly letting me use for the summer. My mother likes to name inanimate objects.

Thing 5: More sunsets

No comments:

Post a Comment