My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Spider webs in Bangkok

The bus I had ridden for 10 hours from Chiang Mai dropped me off in front of a cafe in Bangkok at 5am. I put my backpack beside a table and was about to make myself comfortable in one of the chairs when I noticed that the chair already had an occupant: a black spider of relative good size working feverishly on what promised to be a web of impressive dimensions. I sat in the chair across the table from the free entertainment and observed the action. The spider, who will henceforth be referred to as Spideous Maximus or S. Maximus, made quick work of the chair, constructing a web off of both the arms and the back. Spideous Maximus then jumped what must have been about 6 or 7 feet to a chair belonging to a neighbooring table. The person who had been sitting in the chair was fortunately temporarily away so S. Maximus was able to expand his empire, incorporating this new chair. Spideous Maximus worked frantically and the ensuing web was indeed impressive. I then noticed that the eyes of the partner of Mr. Temporarily Away had also made contact with Spideous Maximus and were not impressed. He reached across the table and forcefully flicked my new friend off his empire in the making. His partner then returned and sat down, unaware of what he had just destroyed.

I decided to take myself on a sunrise walk around Bangkok.

I later enjoyed sunset from the river

and a Thai night market that sold everything from used T-shirts to probably stolen electronics. I bought a used red velvet blazer which came in handy when I landed in Alaska!

The streets of Bangkok were decorated in honor of the King of Thailand's upcoming birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment