My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

A walk in Chiang Mai

One of my favorite things to do is explore a place on foot without any particular direction in mind. I essentially wander aimlessly through neighborhoods, city centers, parks, anywhere I feel the urge to traverse. This act is a variation on the Buddhist practice of walking mediation, but I admit that I was more influenced by the character Miss Eleanor Lavish in E. M. Forster's novel (ok fine, the movie is what really influenced me) A Room With A View who always encouraged travelers to throw away their guidebooks in the hopes of getting themselves lost in a place because, according to her, it's the only way to have a real adventure. I concur.

A walk, practicing the art of random direction taking, with my friend, Kenny, led us to this elephant float at Chiang Mai University. That ain't in no guidebook people!

We also stumbled upon, and were able to join in on, a late afternoon session of Tai Chi offered in a park at the university.

I generally do listen to music while I walk, so I'll pick a playlist that suits my mood and take off in whatever direction feels the most appealing. If I come to an intersection, I again choose whatever direction feels like where I would like to be. The goal, if there must be one, is to be entirely open to the experience of walking in a place, paying attention to all that your senses pick up on. I sometimes don't listen to music if I really want to focus on the sounds of a place, but I like the way that listening to music helps me focus on the visual aspects of my wander since I often bring my camera with me (although I rarely remember to use the darn thing). Sure, I get lost sometimes. I come to dead ends. I find myself covering ground I've already covered. See things I've seen before. But more often then not, I am allowed access to scenes and evidence of life being lived that I would never have had an opportunity to observe and appreciate if I did not take the time to just explore and experience a place with no set direction in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment