My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Eeeeek! How could I forget about Semana Santa?!

Semana Santa, or Holy Week, is widely celebrated throughout Latin America and much of the world. It serves to commemorate the last week of Christ's life on Earth before his crucifixion...Or provide people with a week off of work and school to drink, dance and make merry. I decided to experience it for myself but I prefer to get paid to party so I got a job as a beach bar tender for the wild Semana Santa weekend. It was indeed an exciting time!
On Thursday at midnight all the bars are required by law to shut off all music until midnight Friday night out of respect for Good Friday. Right on the dot of midnight Friday night the music begins BLASTING. I thought for sure my brain was going to explode! And it keeps blasting until 4 am when the police shut everything down. The party doesn't really stop until Sunday.
I'm not sure that I would describe Semana Santa in Cabarete as holy but it sure was a good party...

Ok, the party is over. Time to clean up!
This mess is going to require bigger equipment!
Even after all the extensive clean up, a week later there were still pieces of glass mixed into the sand. One of the kids on a mission trip staying at Crossroads, my family's place, got his foot cut open. Not pretty.
Cabarete on any other day

2 comments:

  1. nice blog rowan.totally awesome!!:)

    visit me at kertasburem.blogspot.com

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment! Your blog looks nice too but I'll have to improve my Indonesian before I can read it!:-)

    ReplyDelete