My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Welcome to Miami! Things I already miss about the Dominican Republic

I have officially been in the United States for all of 3 hours and already I find myself missing certain things about life in the Dominican Republic.
Here are some things that I miss in no particular order:

Ridding on Guaguas
The panoramic vistas 
The sunsets
The fact that if you leave books in a closet for more than a day they become termite condominiums. Of the ten books I had stacked on a chair in a closet for a week the termites chose this one to inhabit:
Carl Jung's Man and His Symbols. That has got to mean something, right?!

I miss the random guy you meet on the street selling a 4 pound lobster
Seeing guys pet their cocks
Going to the beach
And of course I'll really miss the New York subs because I went all the way to the Dominican Republic to eat a New York sub sandwich. 
Tourists are dumb.

Sure, I'll even miss the creepy crawlies because they made my life interesting!
But most of all I'll miss getting to spend time with this guy
My dad and I enjoying my last Presidente for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment