My stepfather often told me, when I was being unreasonable: "Why don't you broaden your pitifully narrow horizons." This blog reflects my desire to do just that. It involves tales of my adventures in extraordinary places but also ordinary places made extraordinary by the people encountered and the food.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Is this for real? Another visit to the public hospital in Puerto Plata

On an earlier date I wrote about the public hospital in Puerto Plata but I felt that it deserved another entry.

I went to the hospital last Saturday to check on 3 men from Villa Ascension who had been in a motorbike accident. Here are some photos.

[Take care of your hospital, maintain the cleanliness.]
I guess it's good job security to keep the hospital full of potential hazards.

Prisoners are kept handcuffed to beds.
Let's go to the lab.
The lab tech explains how the machine to test for HIV/AIDS works.
I needed to use the bathroom.
The faucet was broken, so this is where I rinsed my hands. No, there's no hand sanitizer. 

On the one hand you can look at these pictures and lament the conditions, but as my uncle pointed out, they do a great job with what they are given.



    Plus, in all honesty hospitals in the US are arguably too hung up on rules. I like that here people are so friendly I can do things like this

And who knows when you'll need to make a quick exit.


No comments:

Post a Comment